Time flies and I can't believe it's October already! It's almost Halloween and that means it's the time of the year when Momo gets a new princess dress :) Momo's pick this year is...Elena of Avalor!
Also it's the signature week at Project Run and Play. I sew along for fun and I have always sewn princess dress for the signature week. I was actually hoping to finish this last week for Halloween theme week, but I came down with a cold :( So a princess dress for the signature week it is! :)
If you are not a Disney fan like us...you probably don't know who Elena is. She is a new princess from a Disney TV series that started this summer.
Since we don't watch TV much we have only seen 2 episodes so far, so I was a bit surprised at Momo's pick. But it's not that surprising after all...she is a beautiful princess in a gorgeous red gown. And new characters have fresh appeals. Elena is courageous and seems to be a good role model, so I have no objection for Momo to dress up like her.
And when I looked at Elena, I immediately thought a simple peasant dress pattern would work. I have been very busy lately, so not needing a time trying to figure out how to make the dress was great. I made the bodice in a peasant dress style, and attached a circle skirt. Elastic peasant dress is great for dress-up play, as Momo can wear on and off anytime she wants easily.
Normally a full gathered skirt would work well for a princess dress, but I chose circle skirt this time. Looking at Elena, I can see her regular dress, as shown in the picture above, does not have a typical puffy princess skirt. So I cut a circle as big as I could cut out of 60 in width fabric. The length and its weight keeps the skirt down...
...yet it twirls beautifully when it needs to :)
The skirt is 2 layered circle skirt. I cut out the slit and attached ruffles all around on the top skirt. The ruffle took a long time for me to finish...for this size of circle it felt like a never-ending ruffle ;o I used serger for the ruffle piece and tried to gather too, but somehow that was not working. I had to go back to adding the gathering stitch and manually adjusting the gathers to fit. I am very slow, so that was another sleepless night!
Elena's dress has some kinds of pattern on the ruffles. Of course I was not going to find the same or even similar patterned fabric. So I came up with lace-overlay. I thought the dark pink and red lace would add enough interest to the dress.
The princess approves! :D
I am quite happy with how the dress turned out, and so is Momo. But I'm a little sad that I will probably not be dressing up with her this Halloween, as dressing up as other characters from this show is not easy, and I do not have time to prepare. I was going to keep the family dress-up until Momo is older and gets embarrassed to do so, but I 'm already seeing it ends... But I am also happy to see my little girl still likes to play princess dress-ups. I know this stage does not last forever and she is already 6, but seeing her dance in a princess dress assures me that she is still my little girl :)
Linking up to those fun parties.